Driving While Intoxicated is one of the most common criminal charges, and the DWI conviction costs can be very high.
It’s only natural to want to work with the best defense lawyer possible…
Article by Dallas and Forth Worth Area DWI Defense Lawyer. Call (469) 718-2020 for a free consultation.
What Makes a Good or Best DWI Lawyer?
If you have been charged with a Dallas DWI, then you probably want to know how to find the best DWI lawyer in Dallas.
Finding a great DWI lawyer hinges upon you doing your homework to locate a criminal defense attorney who…
- Is highly trained
- Is experienced in Dallas DWI cases
- Has a track record of success in DWI settlements and verdicts
To find the best DWI lawyer in the Dallas Fort Worth region, follow these three simple rules:
#1 Find an Attorney Who Is a Dallas DWI Specialist
The consequences of a DWI conviction are devastating:
- Potential 90 day or more license suspension
- Automatic administrative suspension of your license in some cases, even without a DWI conviction
- Possible 3 – 180 days in jail
- Up to $2000 fine
- Permanent stain on your record that can make it tough to get a job
Many clients choose to be represented by a DWI attorney who devotes most of their practice to DWI defense.
DWI law is exceedingly complex in Texas. Laws are changing and evolving regularly with each ruling coming from appellate courts. Your attorney needs to know the current state of DWI laws and how they affect your case.
Also, the field of DWI law requires an excellent grasp of criminal procedure, constitutional law, physiology of alcohol in the human body, chemical tests of breath and blood, and the rules of field sobriety testing.
#2 Ask for Referrals
Do you know attorneys in other fields in the Dallas area? If so, ask those attorneys for referrals for a great Dallas DWI attorney. You might ask, “If you were facing a DWI yourself, who is the first attorney you would call?”
#3 Ask These Questions
After you have the names of a few DWI lawyers, you should either meet them in person or call. Ask them the following questions to get a feel of their level of expertise:
- How long have you practiced drunk driving defense? (many believe that expertise only comes through significant experience)
- How much of your law practice is devoted to defending DWI cases? DWI laws and rulings change. Your lawyer must be up on arguments that are most effective today. The best DWI attorney should be on the cutting edge of the field. It is very difficult for an attorney to be up to date in several legal fields.
- How many cases have you taken to trial? Some cases have to go to trial to get the result you want.
- Who is going to handle your case? You will want an experienced DWI lawyer handling your defense case.
By following these simple steps, you should be able to find a DWI defense attorney who can obtain the best possible result for your case.
Need a DWI Lawyer?
Client in the Dallas / Fort Worth Area can call DWI Attorney Dan Gordon at (469) 718-2020, or use the contact form on this page to ask us a question. We offer free consultations.